20 February 2014

NaHaiWriMo prompt: bling

larger than life
even in death
the plumes on the horses


I used to live and work in Hackney in the East End of London. On a couple of occasions I have seen the roads closed for big funerals. Funerals that involved hearses drawn by two black horses.

When I saw these I imagined that the deceased might be some Mr Big from the local criminal underworld. Fittingly, one of these corteges was travelling along Kingsland Road not very far from an old railway bridge that used to have "Reg Kray is innocent" painted along it.

While this literally doesn't translate from "bling," I can imagine a fair bit of bling in the wills.

It could also fit the prompts "black" and "box" of course

2 comments:

Matthew Paul said...

Hi Dave. I like this, as I have your whole series of haiku this month. It's a really good take on the bling theme.

Re the Kray twins, I read the other day a weird bit of trivia: that Fred Dinenage - of How, Gambit, Southern TV footie commentary and dodgy comb-over fame - ghost-wrote the Krays' autobiography.

Dave Serjeant said...

Wow! That really is a weird bit of trivia. I remember Fred Dineage. I know a bit of potentially libellous gossip about another How presenter, but nothing I could publish online. :-)

Thanks for your comments.

all works are copyright, © David Serjeant. If you plan to use any of the work here, I will probably have no problem with that if you credit me as the author, link to this blog and let me know first. Thank you!

background image: beeley moor spin photo © David Serjeant